Quote:

So, don't attempt to use those graphs to judge the low bass under 100Hz, since it will vary significantly when in-room reinforcement is present.

True enough. However, I wonder if for comparative shopping purposes, it still might be useful considering that, after purchase, both would end up in the same room and would be effected equally by the surroundings.

For subtle to small differences, the room may create or cancel something in one speaker but not equally to another creating an unfair comparison, methinks. However, for a basic buyer, a major discrepancy in two speakers graphs could still show that one speaker has no chance to do deep base while another is more likely to succeed. For instance, one could probably safely use graphs of say, an m80 verses some bookshelf being pushed in a big box store that simply hasn't got the driver size to go below 100Hz. (It might be a wonderful speaker at it's design levels but was simply engineered to be accompanied by a sub to get lower than that.)

I definitely agree with the point you made but wouldn't want it misinterpreted by a newcomer that the low ends of graphs are not worth looking at although it's a question to see if I'm correct as much as a statement.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.