Thanks all for helping me through this.

Zarak, I have a Yamaha RX-V620 receiver, and an x-box for DVD, CD, and gaming.

Sushi, yes I've calibrated w/ SPL meter. M22s are 25" away from wall, 7 ft apart and 11 ft from listening area. They, and the VP100 are toed in, pointing directly to the listening position. The VP100 is above TV in a cabinet.

I thought I had gone through a significant number of scenarios to try and isolate the buzzy hiss several months ago, but when I went back and listened again, I'm not sure if I'm getting it through the tuner or VCR. The sound floors on each of these is more audible and I now think that is what I am hearing instead of the hiss. I am definitely getting it through the x-box in all listening modes. But I was curious why the hiss doesn't occur in the VP100, only the M22s.

That said, I just tried another experiment and found that if I hook up my old yamaha cd player (circa 1985), I get no hiss when the "effect" is off. That led me to learn that I could select analog when I am hooked to the x-box and get no hiss as long as I'm not doing any sound effects.

I tried the sub in several places and think it is in the best place I could find (in front b/w M22 and tv cabinet). I've tried both phase positions, speakers are set to small and the crossover frequency on the sub is at the end of the dial at 150hz.

My room is carpeted, large upholstered furniture, and mostly wood paneling. There is a single french door on one end and a moderate sized window on either end of the listening wall.

Man this is a lot of work... I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out.