This was a lot of fun. I didn't realize what it means for bass to blend until today. As Jason mentioned, the Hsu didn't blend well compared to the 400. Perhaps what I've been calling transparent others call blending. Surprisingly, I never noticed the lack of blending in my larger space with the Hsu but it was obviously there today.

For reference, we listened to Clapton:Unplugged and Dead Can Dance: Spiritchaser. I actually liked the percussive Hsu better with Clapton with the exception of a few tracks (most notably track 4). On these few tracks, the 400 brought out nuances that the Hsu could not. On DCD however, the 400 shone by blending in and not drawing attention to itself at all. The Hsu sounded deeper and pounded somewhat.

Jason's antiquated sub was interesting in that it made its presence known in an uninviting kind of way. The 80s competed with the sub and I couldn't make up my mind what to listen to - the sub or the 80s.

My big take-away from today was just how important blending and transparency is. I'm starting to believe that you can't have blending/transparency and punch/slam. Perhaps slower transient response lends to the ability to blend and be transparent. I guess I won't know for sure until I hear more subs.

Just to echo what Jason already said, the 400 is not for movies but it is definitely excellent for music.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated