Hi Wiggins,

I suspect the reason you can't find any reviews on Soundstage or other stores that carry them is because there aren't any, the reason being that I'm sure Soundstage is a "house brand".

This means that an individual store or chain of stores will contract with some OEM manufacturer to build a line of speakers at various prices. No one know who designs them, where the parts are sourced, or where they're built. They're designed for maximum profit to the retailer and often are lousy sounding or barely acceptable.

Typically house brands will have names like "Soundstage" that are similar to other high-quality brands. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, there were house brands in Canada like Audio Research, which traded on the name of once fine old American manufacturer, Acoustic Research. Customers would get confused, which was the intention of the retailed and house brand line.

Sometimes the odd house brand speaker would evolve into a decent loudspeaker company. For example, the Ohm loudspeaker line started out as a house brand speaker for a chain of New England hi-fi stores called Tweeter, if memory serves.

I'll tell you the Nuance story in my next chapter--a uniquely Canadian and highly annoying tale of marketing gimmickry.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)