Yes. The technical capabilities does not mean it has to be used. Furtermore, your player is capable of doing bass management so it needs to have a LFE output that will be used to redirect the bass to that channel that is typically connected pretty directly to a sub-woofer.

In any case (and I had to think about it myself at some point), think about it: if the sound engineer redirects some bass on the LFE, what's the xover? In case you never heard double-bass management (two different sets of xover) it is horrible. For a good ten minutes, a few weeks ago, both my Oppo player and my receiver were doing bass management, one at 100hz, the other at 80hz. The sound was soooo bad!

The 5.1 you read at the of DVD-Audio (SACD really displays that) is pure marketting. People are so used to "5.1" to mean surround that they feel cheated if they see "5.0". In the booklet, when they bother to mention it, they will ether say "unused for this recording" or "barely used", and the "barely used" is synonym with unused.

As I type, I am currently listening to a 5.0 (it is actually displayed as such on the receiver) SACD.

Hope this helped. ;\)

See Mojo's signature