Over the weekend I exchange my Poineer 1017 for a Yamaha 6190 which is the same as the Yammy 1800. Its full 1.3 HDMI.
I did the test with Spiderman BD on a PS3 and flip back and forth from bitstream DD 5.1 vs DD True HD vs 5.1 Uncompressed PCM.
Bitstream DD 5.1 was about 3db higher than the other 2 sources.
Quality is as it was in DD mode. What we have all been used to this past couple of years.
Switching to DD True HD the sound was 3db lower so I raised the volume and use my SPL meter and made sure I was listening the same DB. There was definitely lots of more nuance detail on each sound activity. I know this is subjective but it had a plethora of information which I was not aware about with the same track in DD 5.1.
I switch also to uncompressed 5.1 PCM and it was only a tad bit louder about .5 a db if at all. But sound quality at least to my ears were pretty much the same. I couldnt tell the difference much but I do always leave it at uncompressed 5.1 PCM.
Yammy also has some cool features like presence channel which add to the ambiance in the front so I have pretty much my main 2 speakers (+phantom center from main speaker) and 2 more presence speakers and the front sound stage is seamless and huge. The detail in the 4 speakers I have in front for HT is almost similar to what I get in critical 2 channel listening.
Still waiing in the new year for prices to drop for 1080p projectors or just cheap it out with a Benq W500.