Guys, guys, guys relax a bit would ya!

I got one kid who's sick the other ones are running around to all sort of Christmas events, had my wife's company Christmas party to go to, etc, etc, etc. Cripes I just posted it last night. (Thank you Chessaroo). And Bridgman, you nailed it. There is of course plenty of reason to watch BR/HDDVD on ANY High Def screen. What Alan says about the device being unable to display the extra pixels is indeed true. However, prior to the arrival of BR/HDDVD the best option for those of us who owned an HD set and wanted to watch movies on disc was regular DVD played on an upconverting player. These upconverting chipsets have evolved by leaps and bounds. But no matter how good they get the simple fact will always remain: What they do is take non-HD 480 resolution, blow it up to 720p or 1080i, then tries to imagine what should go into all the empty spaces. It's amazing technology thats very impressive to look at on screen. Now, (without going out and buying a 1080P set), hook up a BR player, pop in a BR disc and you can discover that there is absolutely no comparison between the above mentioned technology and a technology that simply takes 1080P resolution (with 1000's of times more digital audio and video "information" by the way) and downconverts it to (Hi Def) 1080i or 720p. Better yet, an easier experiment would be to simply compare what you view on Discovery HD Theater to your old DVD player. No comparison.

There is indeed a point to getting a video source that delivers 1080P even if your set only displays 1080i or 720p.

Thanks,
Tom L Ipswich,MA

p.s. - I faithfully read everything Alan Loft has to offer because he is an A/V guru. This is the only inaccuracy I have ever seen from him and felt it was an important thing to point out.

p.p.s. - At this point and time (for various reasons I wont go into here) I do not recommend that people jump onto the HD disc bandwagon....yet.