When I had the plant tour a couple of years ago I saw the speakers on the line and they did put a signal through ever speaker before they packaged them. They do 100% testing on every driver and amp (subwoofer).

As with any SPC (Statistical Process Control) system for any manufacturing facility they will also do random sampling to test other specs. One of which I am sure would be a power handling test. I also saw the room inwhich this happens - it is very sound proofed and not in the main building, for good reason)

When the signal is passed trough your / the speakers on the line during the 100% testing, that 1/10th of a second the signal hits the drivers IS the break in period for the speaker.

Sirquak is quite correct in his post!

As a Manufacturing Engineer, I was quite intrigued with their process.

BTW the 100% test of each driver is not done by humans, the speaker is put in chamber and specially calibrated microphones measure the output of each driver before the computer gives the speaker a Pass or fail rating. I beleive it not only measures output, but frequency response and will give a complete report on it's findings if a driver fails. Very high tech.

Paul

Last edited by Worfzara; 12/19/07 07:20 PM.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990