The more I read, the more I am convinced it is worth extra effort to put together the right speaker and amp/prepro or receiver combination. EFalardeaus post on his experiences with his new A1400-8 amp with his M80s was a real eye-opener to me.

In particular, the comment about moving from a recording sounding like a really good recording to the actual instrument. I would love to be able to get this out of any system I put together.

As a side note, I don't think this is that hard to do for most rock because the source is already amplified, but with anything acousic there is another level of complexity to reproduce.

This leaves me wondering what the best choice might be to drive a pair of M60s if I want to get the most out of them.

I am planning a system for music first and possible HT down the road.

So, from what I have read so far, enough power for the dynamic range of the speaker is a must. Now, what exactly whould that be? If I remember correctly, 150w is the max for the M60. Does this mean I need a full 150w for full dynamic range performance out of these speakers? I suspect not, but how many watts do I really need?

Quote:
from erics post: Anything that has big attack and short release sounds much, much better.

I am guessing this is where dynamic range comes in, at
least on the attack side(??). The amp needs to be able to provide the large jump in power to drive the speakers response without running into any limits. Is this correct?

Now for that can of worms... What is at play here beyond the power to handle big shifts in range? Not being a sound engineer, it is hard for me to judge when we leave the world of fact for the realm of fiction when discussing amp. specs.

Hopefully this will help me to understand where to focus in matching the amp. to the speakers.

Fred

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!