Thanks for the link duckman. I should have used the search function first. Can 'o worms indeed.

John, thanks for the explanation. It seems some folks think there is even more to it than that including things like rise time etc., but there is no concensus on the effect of these other things. Don't know where that leaves me...

Given that the speakers will be located in a smaller room, ~1900 cu.ft. and my average listening distance will probably be closer to 6-8 ft unless I am in the kitchen, I don't think I will ever need and amp like the A1400.

I think I need to start a list of questions for the folks at Axiom when I go up to audition speakers. It will be interesting to a/b the A1400 against onother amp at various volumes to see what I hear.

I suppose one of the things I need to figure out when I am there is what I consider to be comfortable listening levels.

As for dynamic range, I suspect that much of the stuff I listen to (prog. rock) has a greater dynamic range than your average pop/rock.

Thanks guys. I am no closer to answering my question, but at least I know how to go about getting an answer now.

Fred

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!