I think that I have finally decided on a set. I am getting my taxes prepared on Saturday morning and will probably put all of that money toward a new TV. I decided on the Panasonic TX-50PX75U. I will be sitting about 8 feet away from the TV so from what I have read 1080p is a waste of money for a 50 inch set. Although, I can’t check this out for myself since all of the stores feed their TV’s with a 720p signal.

Like was mentioned by others, the Pioneer is just not worth that extra money. The Panasonic is about $1500 and Pioneer is about an extra $1000 for a little bit deeper blacks. I would like to get the Panasonic 77U which has the antiglare coating on the screen but it seems that Crutchfield is out of stock of that set. I’m planning on buying the set from Crutchfield since they have very good customer service like Axiom and a reasonably priced 5 year warranty plan (only about $189) that seems to be better than the ones offered at Best Buy or Circuit City.

I would have just went for the Sony sxrd but with so many people having problems with this technology and Sony getting out of making them all together because of this it just doesn’t seem to be worth the risk. If I were to buy it from Crutchfield and bought the 5 year warranty plan from them I do think that they would take care of me if I did have problems with it though.

But, it looks like the Panasonic is the better set though picture-wise. Furthermore, I don’t think that burn-in will be an issue on the Panasonic. At audioholics.com they tested burn-in on a new Panasonic by leaving the set hooked up to a computer for six hours with the screen saver off and the screen displaying the desktop. Apparently there was no burn-in at all after this much abuse.

- Nick