Originally Posted By: fredk

I am a little hesitant to pick up 20 or 30 year old equipment. My understanding is that electronics degrade over time. Something less than 5 years old on the other hand...

That's a shame. I use an amp that is 50 years old - still running wonderfully fine. There are some that would argue that newer amps are far too complicated, which in turn muddies the sound. Think crossovers.

Quote:
I have yet to hear of any sort of explanation for what in the electronics would 'remove' detail from a signal.

Well, it's often as simple as the sum of its parts. Take just about anything that has a competitor making a similar product and you'll find that one manufacturer will have used inferior parts somewhere down the line.

Quote:
I tend to go with people like Alan Loft who have been listening for years as part of their job.

Well, you did post questions here, right? So, I'm giving you my very humble opinion. Take it or leave it, it's mine. "Who the heck is she?" Someone who listens to music for a living.

Quote:
I've been doing a little more digging on Yamaha and it seems that they have a proliferation of receivers but as a rule they seem to deliver more watts per $$ at reasonable specs (on paper at least)...Need to find some more reviews I guess.

My recommendation: Stop reading and get out there and hear the darn thing!

Zoë

The more you love music, the more you love music.