Originally Posted By: JohnK
No, as Jim also pointed out, the dynamic range possible on CDs isn't the problem; the theoretical max range is about 98dB(6.02n + 1.76dB), and no recordings, even the most dynamic classical items, would exceed about 70dB(and even getting close to that leads to some bitter complaints about excessive dynamic range). The maximum level that digital recordings can achieve(termed 0 dBFS, for Full Scale)sets the limits on how high the recording level can be without clipping. Since louder sells in the pop arena, some recordings go up to and even beyond 0dBFS, resulting in the clipping that some of the charts show. But there's a difference between that and dynamic range; for example, it'd be theoretically possible to have a recording with zero dynamic range between the high and low points, but everything is recorded at higher than 0dBFS and is clipped.

Thanks JohnK. And Jim, too!

I find this fascinating how bad recording techniques are the new norm. It's frustrating, also. The double-edged sword is that now I am much more aware of dynamically compressed recordings.

I can see how dynamic compression is misconstrued as a good thing. Living with roommates makes me aware of the volume level. Listening to music with a good dynamic range makes me sit there with the remote handy to turn down the peaks. There is no adjustment needed for dynamically compressed recordings because the music more or less stays at the same level.

I've got to say, the dynamic music has much more impact emotionally. It's like being on a rollercoaster with a killer loop or giant drop--you're going to remember that thrill. Take, on the other hand, a roller coaster that is nothing but loops and drops, sure it may be exciting at first, but it becomes too much after awhile. You need the lulls to enjoy the highs.

Now I know why some of my older CDs sound quiet--it's not that they're bad, just recorded well. A couple of weeks ago I put on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and felt it was a good recording. I've read other message boards where people have complained about this particular CD, but, to me, it sounded clean and balanced with the loud parts where the loud parts should be.

I find this fascinating and it makes me want to run all my CDs through Audacity. But, then, I know if I do that I won't stop thinking how bad a CD is when I listen to it. Argh.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose