Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Is there another iteration of the PS3 on the horizon? It looks like the only one available now is the 40GB. I would pay a little extra for a bigger HD and compatibility with PS2 games.

Tom,

[url+http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&categoryId=6148914691233368166]had the 80GB through last weekend[/url] and may have it again. There are rumors that Sony will be introducing a 120 or 160 GB version in JUne, but there are no facts to back that up yet.

If you take a look at the link above at SonyStyle, you will note that the 40GB version is $399. That is $100 less than the 80 GB version (who knows what a 120/160 GB version might cost). There is a promo right now for free shipping ($34-$40??).

I didn't upgrade the internal 40GB hard drive because I plugged in a external 750 GB USB drive that I had.

Most importantly, that link also shows that getting / using a Sony Visa (which you can then cancel) gets you a $100 credit on your account in you spend $299 or more and buy a Sony product from SonyStyle or a Sony Store.

A quick tally shows savings of $100 (smaller HD), PLUS $100 (Credit on the account) PLUS $30 (free shipping). That's a savings of $230, which can be used, in part, to buy a larger internal drive (320GB goes for about $120) to replace the 40GB drive (which you can put into a $20 external enclosure). There are several videos on YouTube showing how easy the HDD changeout is (and it DOESN'T void your warranty). This leaves you with a MUCH bigger HDD and still another $90 in your pocket (which you can use part of to purchase the IR solution mentioned above for your MX-700).

The compatibility thing matters only if you have PS2 games. And if you do, you probably have a PS2, which you can still use.

So..... how many do you want?

BTW - the $$ and Sony Visa scenario is how I purchased my PS3 3 weeks ago and I already have my $100 credit.