Your speaker & amp combo is going to be awesome! Awesome sounding speakers and the usefulness of the 3808i.

I bought this one for $70 some dollars because it had a few places for coax and a couple of phone and Ethernet jacks. HD Satelite Receiver has two coax coming into it. I'm not worried about any noise reduction, I just know that funky power can come in on any wire from the outside, not just the electrical outlets.

I have my sub and receiver plugged directly into a separate outlets so they don't get strained sharing power with all the other devices on the power strip. The Denon is supposed to have a pretty well protected power supply built in so I hope it will be OK.

I agree with your lightning theory. It can be so powerful it can jump right through an open protection circuit. Not much can stop it. Some simple designs work pretty well, like the one that hopefully protects your phone line on the outside of your house, but even these can't stop a big blast.

When I worked for the Dept of Health, the hospital put in a new parking system with 4 kiosks and 2 booths. All were connected in a ring configuration for data. Each one had a supposedly 'lightning proof' protector on each side of the unit so if one got hit by lightning, it would protect the others.

For some reason these things were like lightning magnets for a while. (Perhaps the ring of underground cable around the grounds does something to build up charge, dunno.) In the three or more years I worked there, it got hit by about lightning about 5 times. First three times a single hit took out every single kiosk. Circuit boards were unrecognizable charred masses, including the protection pieces.

I gained a lot of respect for lightning. Respect for that kiosk company, not so much. I hear they put in heftier protectors and did something that reduced the chance of lightning strikes since then (10 dollar ground rod maybe? ;\) )

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.