Hello all! First time poster, been lurking in the darkness a few weeks while doing my initial round of research. I have to say I'm pretty much sold on Axiom now, this community, and the wonderful customer service experiences I've read about really made the choice easy. Not to mention the fact I'm sure I'll love the speakers

I'm a computer programmer by day, I'd have to say I'm pretty savvy when it comes to building custom PCs, I've also done a decent amount of work with HTPCs. I would like my computer to play an integral part in all of this, since it is the piece of equipment I will use the most. I would not consider myself an audio/videophile by any means, although I am learning more every day, and will definitely be able to appreciate higher quality hardware.

This system will be a major upgrade for me, been saving for quiet a while and have set the total budget somewhere in the neighborhood of $12K US. This needs to include the speakers, receiver, projector (mount and screen I have), blackout window blinds and all the associated cabling. Luckily I have two things going for me, a decent job, and no wife ;\) Unfortunately I am renting this house, and don't want to do any serious modifications to the walls/ceiling other than mounting a few things. I will using this system for gaming (PC/Xbox/PS3), movies and music, likely in equal proportions.

Here's a pic of the room and my initial estimation of the layout with dimensions: http://www.theconfuzion.com/AV.jpg (400 square, 3100 cubic). The right side of the room opens up in to the kitchen, and dining room. No doors, it's all pretty open. I can post a few pics later if it'll matter. Feel free to comment on the layout, still a bit of a newbie at this!

This is what I'm after:
1. Speakers
- M80 fronts
- VP150 center
- 4xQS8s surrounds
- 2xEP350 subs (still unsure about this)
2. Video
- Epson 1080p projector
- Samsung 46" LCD (have)
3. Components
- Denon 3808
- APC Power Conditioner
- CD/DVD player?

And here are my questions:

1. Subs. I don't really need something that will bring the house down, the 500 and 600s scare me I read a bit about how the 350v3s are more musical, and that two will help even things out, this seems more important to me than something that will ensure my cats never leave the closet and make my neighbors hate me. Suggestions are welcome \:\) Also, is there any benefit to chaining two subs together vs using a Y cable?

2. Center(s). Read a bit about dual M22s as centers, wondering if this is worthwhile? I would probably be able to mount one above and below the screen, however the bottom one would likely be a foot in front of the top. I've also read that people with larger rooms than mine are perfectly happy with the VP150. I think the VP150 will be mounted nicely behind the center of the screen (maybe a foot higher).

3. Receiver. Seems the 3808 is a very popular choice. I considered the 4308, mostly because I need two HDMI outputs for the TV + projector. The wifi isn't necessary since it'll be sitting in a rack right next to my router. I think a $100 splitter/amplifier will do the trick as opposed to the $1000 difference in price between the 3808 and 4308. I'm guessing you all agree.

4. Blackout shades. I need roller shades to cover my windows (there are 4 windows in this room, which is way too much light). Curtains came with the house, they look nice but don't do the job. I'm thinking of these http://www.justblinds.com/dynamic/product.cfm?productID=84

5. PS3 for DVDs and CDs. Is there any reason to buy a nice DVD/CD player (like an Oppo) if I have a PS3? I'm guessing the difference isn't spectacular.

6. Speaker stands vs wall/ceiling mounts for surrounds. I'm leaning towards stands, simply because it'll give me more flexibility to change stuff around, especially if I move in the future. I know for sure I won't be able to wall mount one of the surrounds, and the fewer holes I put in the walls the better. I'm also wondering if stability is an issue with the QS stands, I'm guessing I can fill them with sand or some such to help with this. In any case, they will be up against a wall, and I won't have kids running around, so I'm not really concerned.

Phew, that's a big wall of text. Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later \:\)

Jared

P.S. If this belongs in the HT forums let me know, I'll move it over. I'm mostly after feedback from owners, so I figured this was the place to be.