My wife has small ear canals and has always had trouble with earwax buildup. Up until now, she has been using ear drops to soften and then a syringe full of water to dislodge and remove the wax. She had heard of ear candling (or ear coning) before and has recently found someone who swears by it and is willing to introduce her to the procedure.

I, myself, want nothing to do with it and have flatly refused -- as a matter of principle -- to be my wife's practitioner. There is nothing but anecdotal evidence that it actually does anything (e.g. alleviates swimmer's ear, earaches), and the claim -- get a load of the second paragraph under the What Are The Cones Made Of? section for a good laugh -- that it removes earwax and toxins from the ear has been disproven. Basically, if it works I'm of the belief that it has nothing to do with the actual burning of a candle and/or that it's due to the placebo effect.

Before I completely close my mind to the idea that this could be useful to my wife, I wanted to ask if anyone here has tried it.