What is the point of the new receivers with all their internal decoding of the lastest formats when the source players also do the same decoding ? I'm looking for a solid, powerful receiver but the more I research, the more I get overwhelmed with the decoding and especially the video features .. If the BD player decodes the BD formats, then why do I need it on the receiver ?

Also, if my source is already 1080P or 1080I, what do I care about all the " up converting " features ? but they all seem to have it and make a point of showing it off .. big deal.. I have an Anthem AV20 with video in and I have never used it. I plug my dvd player and sat box directly to my tv.. not my pre-pro or receiver..

This is like when the first DVD players came out, the player did the AC3 and DTS decoding, the receivers did not.. then the receivers did and the players no longer did any decoding..

So, is this the same situation again and we are in the "transition" period until all receivers decode and none of the players do ?

I makes it difficult to choose !..

Last edited by Riker; 06/01/08 08:06 PM.

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400