Here is the abbreviated version of my review of a new set of M22s and M2s versus my existing Cambridge Soundworks classic Ensemble II system for those of you that only have a couple minutes. Glorious (or is that excruciating?) details will follow in subsequent posts.

What I ordered:
1 pair each of M22 & M2
1 VP100
1 pair QS4

The M2s are going back, everything else has a new home. \:\)

The M2s are a decent entry-level speaker, but they need to be played loud to really open up. At background levels around 60 dB like 80% of my listening is done, they didn't perform well. The mids lost clarity and the highs became extremely recessed---almost disappearing. From 65 dB up, they were very clear and clean. They truly excelled in "sharing mode" above 85 dB, though I can't stand that level of sound for more than a minute or so. Also, in my living room, the sweet spot for center imaging was just that. A single spot. One step to either side and the center image was lost.

The M22s were the champion. They create an amazing, open "wall of sound" stage that extends far beyond the speakers. When placed 8' apart, sitting 9' away, the sound stage is easily 12' wide at soft levels and wider at louder levels. You are AT the concert. They are slightly recessed---the stage is a few feet behind the speakers rather than in the plane, but that's OK---it adds a bit of depth to the overall wall of sound.

The dynamics out of the center channel are a treat. The QS4s are just astounding. You are immersed in the experience. It's amazing what the addition of a good midrange speaker does to the center channel. (My old CC had only tweeters that matched my existing satellites.) I have only watched the Lion King and parts of Ratatouille, but have had a permagrin(TM) through the entire experience. To those that worry about "lobing" of the VP100 I say BULLOCKS! There is not a dead spot in our room.

Finally, the Axiom folks (Thanks Brent!) have been a true treat to work with.

-------------
Physicist for hire. Will nuke for food...or is that will nuke food?