Originally Posted By: fredk
 Quote:
When you bring the 500 in that problem is of course solved, but the lows don't 'fit' anymore. They just seem to warm the whole picture.

Is it possible that it is that particular sub? I know that in comparisons between the EP600 and the PB13 ultra, the 600 is described as having a warmer, softer sound. I wonder if this is the low end distortion creeping in and colouring things (runs and hides under nearest chair).

Anything is possible, but I'd wager on me using stupid placement or not doing a good job calibrating before I blamed the sub.

As far as the receiver goes - the more I think about it, the more likely I'll go with an outlaw. I'm a pretty low maintenance guy and pseudo retro implies less headaches.

Anyone have a nice thorough (yet understandable) explanation as to what a power amp is supposed to do other than make music louder? Does a good power amp make the actual receiver less important? I've been resisting the idea of separate gear so I've never researched this at all. I'll dig around myself (there's probably even an article at axiom?) but wondered if someone had a quick easy link.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore