Originally Posted By: JohnK
Nick, that's it: an amplifier, whether it's in a receiver or a separate unit, only has the job of increasing the incoming voltage(a gain of typically about 29dB, which is about 30 times)so that it's high enough to drive the speakers to an audible level. Competently designed units, which are available at quite low cost these days, don't add audible coloration, they just make things louder. The typical moderate cost receiver with a power rating somewhere in the 100 watt area not only handles the 1 watt or so used at an average loud listening level well, but for the vast majority of uses has plenty of headroom to handle brief peaks. Nothing more is required for transparent amplification.

Great, so it sounds like receiver alone should be fine. What about when they talk about some receivers sounding "warmer" etc? Or is that only an issue when it's decoding digital signal? In analog context it's just a straight pass through and power so there's very little difference in receivers?

Considering that I'm already concerned about the 80's being too loud for day to day listening I can't imagine driving them hard enough to tax anything.

Anyone auditioned the 80's and 60's to know the difference? Given that I like the 60's already will I enjoy the 80's even more for 2 channel? Or are they just capable of being louder?

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore