Originally Posted By: BlingZ
Spend a little extra and you get 50% more value.

DLP tv $1350 after tax.

I have a 65" and its the best TV I have ever had. I have friends with Plasma's ex. LG, Pioneer, LCD's ex. LG, Samsung, Vizio's and all love my TV better than theres because its so smooth in HD. I would get a Sony DLP or a mitsubishi DLP the only thing better than both is a $10,000 Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma which is the Best of the Best.

The original poster said the TV is for the bedroom and that is why they were considering 37".

Its true that you have to sit incredibly close to a 37" 1080P set (if you can find one) to realize the benefit of 1080P. Projection TV's (such as DLP, LCDRP, LCOS) are great for larger rooms, but tough to fit in a bedroom.

Also, Sony doesnt make DLP. They made LCD rear projection and that was superceded by their SXRD sets (which are LCOS based)and they discontinued the SXRD last year due to class action suits based on defects with the optical block of the set. (Green blobs and purple haze with Sony SXRD).

I own a 61" rear projection set and love it, but from what the poster is asking a flat panel LCD or Plasma would be perfect. Plasma's normally have a faster response time than LCD which would reduce blurring in fast moving scenes.....so if your dad wants to watch sports a lot, plasma might be a better choice. Good luck.