Originally Posted By: CV
 Originally Posted By: ctown
Plasma's normally have a faster response time than LCD which would reduce blurring in fast moving scenes.....so if your dad wants to watch sports a lot, plasma might be a better choice. Good luck.

My dad's not into sports at all. Neither is my mom. I bet they mainly watch sitcoms on their bedroom TV, and the occasional movie. My dad would rather watch movies on his living room system or visit mine.

But you know, I probably would go DLP for a bedroom TV. His room isn't THAT cramped for space. Anyway, thank you all for this thread full of replies. I'm sure he appreciates it.

Projection(DLP-LCOS-LCD), Plasma normally have a 4ms response time, while LCD panels have longer in the 6,8ms or higher, but for your family viewing habits...it really doesnt matter.

If you go for DLP(or any set for that matter), make sure you goto some stores and watch some programming on them and research the models.

A couple years ago, I was all set to buy the Toshiba HM84 or HMX85 series, until I found out they were blowing a lot of bulbs early, then I waited for their 195 series and the alleged 1080P pic was filled with video noise. The Samsungs at the time changed their light engine and the picture looked soft.

Hitachi and Sony made nice LCD projection sets, but I couldnt get past the gridlines of the pixels against a uniform picture like a golf green or hockey game. That is when I turned to LCOS (liquid crystal on Silicon) technology. It offers the smooth pic of DLP without the moving parts of a colour wheel.

I actually was going to buy a Sony SXRD, but backed out because it didnt look good with Standard Def programming....and they discontinued that line less than 2 years later. I am completely happy with my projection TV, but that isnt important as I'm not here to tell you to buy what I have, because we all have different viewing requirements.

Just make sure you google some reviews and go see in store the TV's you are considering, preferably with the same programming to compare. Your eyes should be the final judge.