Ok, I need some advice here, your help is appreciated.

I have a dedicated HT room with a Panasonic projector PT-AE900u that will do 1080i / 720p. I also have a non up-converting Pioneer DVD player I bought for around $200 about 4 years ago. Over the past year I have been planning to purchase an Oppo 981 to replace the Pioneer. I never did get around to it. I now see Oppo has come out with a newer model but with a heftier price tag ($399) although with better picture so the reviews say.

Now that the format war is over and I have noticed my local video rental store is now stocking blu-ray discs, and the prices of players are starting to drop (Sony BDPS300 at Futureshop for $299). Maybe I should be considering a blu-ray player.

Here is the question. I have an extensive SD DVD collection that I will not be converting to blu-ray anytime soon, if ever. How is the up-converting on blu-ray players in comparison to the Oppo? Has anybody done any comparisons? Remember, I am still limited to 1080i / 720p. Will I notice a sig. difference between an SD upconverted image on a blu-ray player compared to my SD Poineer player.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

pn

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990