Regarding the Oppo’s.

They all serve a purpose and were built with individual needs in mind. The 981 has the best deinterlacing / up conversion chip, but it’s not so great for audio. There was a time when I could recite the different chip models and why one was better than the other, but I’m not too bright and had to make room for new data storage between the ears. However, I do recall that the 970 and 980 share similar audio decoders and both have better SQ than the 981. I don’t know much about Oppo’s new model, so I can’t comment on it other than it’s expernsive. The 970 was originally designed for folks who use an outboard video processor. It was, at the time of release, one of the only DVD players that would output native 480i via HDMI in a digital format. Prior this machine, it was standard practice for videophiles who use output processors to pay someone to modify DVD players with a Serial Data Interface connection that tapped directly off the MPEG decoder. This is what VP users want; unadulterated raw data for the VP to do its magic and the 970 fit the bill nicely. Then Oppo upped the anti with the 980. Not only did it output 480i via HDMI, it also outputs SACD via HDMI in its native DSD format. The 980 also handles the video output better than the 970. The 970 changes the color space from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4. The 980 outputs true 4:2:2. The 980 also has 7 channel analogue outputs. It uses the same (or very similar) audio decoders as the 970 did. However, if you want your DVD player to do the deinterlacing, the 981 will do a better job.

I have a PS3, 970 and a 981 with SDI. I’ve done a fair bit of experimenting with all of them feeding my video processor, and also with the VP out of the chain. Leaving the VP out, the 981 does have the better picture than the 970 or PS3. I rank the 981 first, then the 970, then the PS3. I am not impressed with the PS3 as an up converting DVD player, but I’m sitting 12’ away from a screen that’s 8’ wide. If you have a smaller display, the differences become less pronounced. When I use the VP, there’s no comparison.

Now depending on your display, and how well it deinterlacing and up-scales, you may be better off with a DVD player like the 980 and send the display the raw 480i data and let it do all work. I think the added audio performance of the 980 is worth the risk when you consider the marginal video gains that the 981 has over it.

Or, if you are not in a hurry, wait for Oppo’s blue ray player. I’ve been hearing very positive things about this machine. And knowing Oppo’s history with outstanding products at reasonable prices, I’m sure it will be a dandy.