(is there an echo in here?)

Re-posting with hopefully working picture links... sorry for the spam. [Google web albums changed the way you embed images stored there and it looks like I guessed wrong the first time]

RE-POST FOLLOWS

Fred - I'm sure you remember I went through the same fun (I think?) with my own poor room modes when I first picked up the EP600.

This was what my raw output looked like where I first had my sub:

I had some ugly dips at around 35 and 60 hz. I ended up getting the Behringer Feedback Destroyer (fondly known as the BFD) to smooth responses, but what I found was that these types of dips (-20 dB or more) weren't correctable through any other means than moving furniture or moving the sub itself. The best I could do in that position, even with the BFD, was to get the curve to about -12 dB at 60 Hz (and other ugly problem spots as well), which was still way too much of a drop off for me to be happy with.

Fortunately in my case better results were achievable without moving walls.

Now take a look at what happened just by moving position of the sub, this is still before using the BFD in the new position:

Moving the position caused the response to move from +/- 40 dB to +/- 10 dB (and my satisfaction level with my EP600 to go from 0 to 100).

Then, finally, I applied the BFD adjustments to my curve and achieved the flattened curve I was looking for:

The moral of this long story filled with squiggly lines and charts? Even though I know you've said you have a tough room, definitely experiment with different locations for the sub to see if you notice a difference (primarily with your ears, but also with the REW curves). Also, like you said, adjust the phase options to see if it makes a difference, though in my case even phase adjustments in the first position were not terribly helpful. It was just a very bad location in the room. In the second position though, and especially after adding a second sub, the phase adjustments became critical to smoothing response throughout the room.

Have fun, keep us posted!

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry