Graeme,

Have you ever considered seperates? I currently own an Outlaw Audio 990 pre-pro and an Outlaw 7500 amp (5 X 200 watts) and I absolutely love it. My M80's, VP150, and QS8's really shine. If you are not familiar, Outlaw Audio is an internet only retailer. Costs are significantly lower because they sell directly to the public. In my opinion, quality is not sacrificed by the lower prices.

You mentioned new technology on the horizon. Outlaw just announced a new pre-pro...the 997, which will be out in early 2009. The estimated price will be about $1,400 (US). Pair this with a 7 Channel 7700 amp ($2,150 (US)), and you'd have one sweet setup. The new pre-pro uses HDMI 1.3 and has on-board Trinnov Optimizer technology. For more information on this, you can check out the Outlaw's announcement here:

Outlaw Audio 997

Also check out all the other products they offer. I couldn't be happier with my current system, but I might just have to upgrade when the 997 comes out! Just some food for thought...no idea what shipping would be to Australia.