It seems that everywhere I look, people are very happy with their 3808.

I feel the 661 is very cumbersome and its hard to set things up, it does not give an on screen display if HDMI is connected and trying to navigate the little front panel is a real pain.

The manual is shocking, if I am looking up something and the index says its on page 12, you go to page 12 and find its spread out on say page 5, 26 and 40. For a novice its very hard to try and understand.
There is no clear explanation for anything in the manual.

I know most manuals are this way but there are better.

As far as HDMI goes the 661 is 1.2a Am I missing out on anything not having 1.3b?

I am in two minds, should I get another AV? or should I get to know the 661 first? Should I wait until a new model is released so as to try and future proof my purchase. Or buy one that has been out for awhile and has been tried and tested by a huge range of people?

I really don't know what I am missing out on, apart from a very nice GUI for easy navigation.
The other thing is the sound options, again I am not sure of what I am missing out on. And also Video conversion, again I know nothing, what can a new AVR do that the 661 can't?

So from my point of view its very hard to make a decision, because I am not up with all the technical aspects of AVR's

I guess what I need is an AVR that has a good list of features and is very easy to setup, use and understand. Is there such an AVR?