I think this is my favourite post so far. Reading this has brought back a lot of memories. I remember being involved in the monster receiver wars in the late '70's/early 80's. Even though I was only a teen then and couldn't afford one myself, many of our fathers back then had them. A lucky friend of mine's dad had the massive Pioneer SX-1980 putting out close to around 300w/p/c!!! We'd go and party there when his parents weren't home. I actually feel a little sorry for the records we played. The turntable was a decent Dual with a Shure cartridge (M111HE if I recall), but after a few drinks and overdriving the old set of Sansui speakers pounding the air and our eardrums with their 16" woofers, the old vinyl disks saw some hard times. Because they were getting handled over and over again by a bunch of crazy teens who can't decide what to listen to (Jethro Tull or Iron Maiden?)! They got dropped on the floor, cigarette ashes on them by guys who had a "smoke" in their mouth while they flipped the album with both hands, sat on when left on the couch, etc, etc. Sad, but boy did we have fun!

With the sound of Judas Priest "British Steel" still ringing in my ears, I continue to listen to my records from time to time. Although today I cherish them as treasures from my past. Ironically, it's funny that even today when I here on old Peter Frampton tune on the radio, I'm a little disappointed when that record pop doesn't happen half way through the song "Do You Feel Like We Do"!!!!!

Epic 50 - 500 System ( M50 / QS4 / VP100 / EP500 )