I didn't dare label the post as "Another Receiver Question..."

I picked up the Pannie 35 Blu-Ray player and took 5 minutes to hook it up via an HDMI-->DVI cable (to use an alternate, available connection on my TV) and an optical connection to my Denon 3805 receiver. Picture quality is, as expected, excellent. Audio quality (Standard flavor Dolby Digital) was fine...as I'm used to with DVD of course.

So here's the dilemma: I'm wondering if I really even do need a new receiver...

I was planning on ordering Cyber Monday, when I can see if, by some chance, anyone will have a deal that beats the 6Ave price on the Denon 3808. But because I didn't order right away, I'm waffling. I'm wondering if the improved B-R soundtracks really are so much better as to justify spending $1100 to replace a perfectly good receiver. I'll gain other niceties such as independent crossovers, labeling of inputs, Audyssey, Playing tracks off a hard drive... hell, just having the HDMI inputs means I won't have to continue switching my audio and video sources seperately all the time. But still.... my receiver is working just fine as is. Further... (and I know it's carrying things a bit far for this particular forum), it's hard to even feel good about buying a new receiver when the homeless shelters are beyond full and so many people are having a tough time of late... \:\(

To be frank, we just got a decent-sized tax refund and our stimulus checks (we had filed extensions), so we DO have a good chunk of cash in hand. But really, my business might start slowing down (hasn't yet) and I COULD just put that money aside for rainy days....

I'm also wondering about getting a lesser receiver as a compromise... though I might just always see it as a compromise. Newegg has an Onkyo 876 for $700 off... (final price $1000). I haven't done a comparison with the 3808 yet, but it might be an option.

Alright, enough whining. Thanks for listening.

Are the new soundtracks REALLY so much better that they justify a new receiver?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::