In reply to:

This is an extreme example for which we both know is not what is occurring. Besides, you do not constantly run several hundred watts of power to speakers. Most power ranges under several watts. If they did not, then tube amps would be pretty much a waste of time.

Heh - yea of course. But I was just mentioning that for the rare peaks; where you don't want anything getting in the way. Plus any bit of resistance will diminish the output, even if you cannot notice it (it may be insignificant, however).

In reply to:

I've used them with my Axiom setup for over a year and a half with no problems and i was switching speakers around rather regularly (couple times a month) for awhile there during some auditioning.

Indeed; for A/B testing, you NEED Banana's. That's the reason why I still have some for my actual rigs (if I want to test a new speaker, etc) and not just for my DJ setup.

In reply to:

However, optical cable is designed for curvature of the cable. It has to in real world applications and for those that are not so sure...light does bend.

Yea, of course it bends [Difference in refraction levels included {although they play more of a role in the initial input and exit from the cable}, but this also differs by wavelength, adding to my point in theory, and your's in practice.]

In reply to:

Did you know those high capacity optical cables can carry in excess of 400GB per SECOND of data!??

Indeed - the OC192's and up (hence the name Optical Connection, right? Or something along those lines?)

In reply to:

If optical cable could not be bent at all then consider why companies like Nortel would be producing and running hundreds of thousands of kilometres of optical cable for world communications.

I always thought that they weren't bent, but rather passed through their amplifiers and they would change the angle of the light and increase the signal; but keeping the actual cables themselves straight. It may be different now, though, as I havn't checked up on my information in the last few years.

In reply to:

My old Technics system had a similar problem. The fault was in the connection of the optical cable to the unit itself. Cheap plastic ends from the original boxed cables must have become worn down and became loose. Switching to a new cable fixed the problem.

BAH!! (at Acoustic Research) I have an AR optical cable that I can't use anymore unless I like the occasional noise session then.

EDIT: now that I think about it; it is probably that because before I decided on placement, wires were all over the place and I tripped over the cable on several occasions.