Holy Moses! I didn't expect this. I've hidden my birth date here on the forum because I've reached the age where having my birthday ignored is kinder than having it celebrated. But, ol' big mouth Ray had to go and "out" me. ;\)

So, what did I do on my birthday, you ask? Well, I grocery shopped, picked up my meds, and hit the library for some reading material. Then I did the laundry, cleaned the stove, and spent the last 5 or six hours on the phone helping a friend try to solve a really weird computer problem. She's in the S.F Bay area so she doesn't care if I'm up until 3 AM. It's only midnight for her .

She has somehow managed to quadruple her documents and pictures and connect the files in some way so that whatever you do to, or with, one folder or file is also done to, or with, all the other versions of that folder or file. For example, if you delete a folder all the other copies of that folder are deleted as well. Problem is She has a 40 gig hard drive, and all these duplicated files are taking up more than 24 gigabytes of space. Her hard drive is almost totally filled. I'm going to do some searching to see if I can find anything about a problem like this. If I fail, I'm going to be begging all the computer gurus here on the forum for a little help.

Fortunately, I've found a free-for-non-commercial-use program called TeamViewer which enables me to remotely connect to her computer. It is a life saver just to be able to see her screen so I know what she is doing rather than having her try to describe it. In addition, I can control her cursor, open and close folders, files and programs, and I can even switch things so she can see my computer screen. FABULOUS!

So, that's why I haven't dropped in sooner today (er...yesterday ). I'd just like to thank all of you for the kind words and good wishes. It is much appreciated and means a lot to me. This is a terrific place populated by terrific people. Thanks again.

I'm punchy, so I'm off to bed.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton