Hitting on Eric's comment, I think maybe the reason I've lucked out and our room sounded decent from jumpstreet (re: Mike's question regarding why screw with anything) is that I set the speakers up according to the Rives suggestion of the 1/5th room placement, in other words I have my 80s set 5' off of the front wall in a 25' long room. Whenever I had them fairly tight to the wall they sounded a bit boomy but after they were moved way back the bass seemed to have tightened up quite a bit, which makes me believe that room and room placement makes a huge difference ... probably more so than is given credit for at times.

Which also makes me believe that there can be no one set procedure for setting these systems up due to the numerous room layouts these speakers are going in, comes back to that personal preference thing I suppose.

BTW, for *my* particular room and taste I did set the 80's back to a small setting and the crossover back to 60 after trying the large and LFE setting on our AVR for a day.

Rick
Our Room

smile