I got this info off of Onkyos web site.TX-SR606 can upscale all video signals to 1080i, regardless of the connection, for output via HDMI. This is a limitation of the Faroudja DCDi chip used in the Onkyo receivers. Incoming 1080i signals via component connection can only be transmitted via HDMI in 720p. Incoming 1080i signals via an HDMI connection will be transmitted in 1080i.

The following hook up recommendations will allow you to display 1080i resolutions from your cable/satellite.

1. If the cable/satellite has the options of HDMI or DVI outputs, use those connections instead of the component video. The HDMI connection will allow audio and video signals to be sent thought a single connection. The DVI connection is for video only. You will need a DVI to HDMI adaptor plus a separate audio connection to go from the cable/satellite box the receiver for sound.

2. if your cable/satellite only supports component video then you can either go component video out along with the HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Or you can go from the cable/ satellite direct into the TV with the component video so you can get the 1080i signal from the broadcasts.

Hope to gain a wealth of knowledge and maybe use it.