I have a large collection of dvd's from different regions other than region 1. Some of them are also pal discs (ie 25 fps rather than 24 fps). I would like to be able to purchase and play blu-ray's from other regions as well, but players that can do this are quite expensive at this point. Many times you can get dvd's and blu-ray's from other countries that aren't available in region 1, or are available a couple of years later. The cheapest player that I have seen that can do this for dvd's and blu-ray's is a modified Panasonic DMP-BD35 for $650.

Does anyone know if this Oppo Blu-ray player is supposed to be a region free player for dvd and or blu-ray's? Will it play pal discs? The other Oppo dvd players have done this in the past. If the Oppo can do this on top of its upconverting, which sounds like it will surpass even the Oppo 983, then this player is truly a bargain. I guess even if it doesn't do it would be a bargain, but the region free and pal conversion would be icing on the cake.

- Nick