Originally Posted By: jakewash
No need to make it too hard, you just add a few firring strips or newly created outer housing to wrap around the present cabinet to give the outside a new shape, the inside will remain untouched and just apply the new veneer.

That's the plan - like a hard taco shell sandwiching the old cabinet in the middle. The only change to the old cabinet would be the four or eight holes needed to very strongly connect the new shell to the old cabinet. But that is a minor problem if the grand plan works. Thus the sound should be 100% the same, but appearance should be 100 times better (IMO, which is all that matters for this project!). If the plan does not work, I'm going to need some new speakers. Anyone recommend a brand? I hear Bose makes a nice speaker. Any thoughts...on second thought.

Here is my guide, just imagine the sphere in my case will be the rectangular head of my current speaker comming out the top. Not as nice, but similar presence - if I do it right. B&W 800D

Last edited by Zimm; 01/07/09 10:54 PM. Reason: add picture

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire