Worfzara, I agree with what you say, and it's certainly a positive way to look at the situation.

The IT dept where I work functions much the same way, we're task-oriented. We don't punch the clock. If I want to post on Axiom about helping Medic8r with his problem, they don't care so long as tasks/projects are on schedule. Of course, in my case it works both ways as we're expected to put in whatever extra time is needed during critical projects. We can and we do, and it works well.

But at the same time, there are other companies (that both myself and my wife have worked for) that view every second as 'on the clock'. Where breaks were strictly structured and any time not doing one's job was viewed as stealing company time. If you were paid for 40 hours of work, you were expected to give the company 40 hours of production even if it meant you had to do something other than your actual job description.

But ultimately it's Medic8r's business. If the employee's surfing is bothering he and his associates, he's certainly within his right to clamp down on that. And actually, there may be good reason to do just that. Since he's obviously involved with medicine, there may be a very good reason for restricting internet access. What if that employee inadvertently downloaded a keylogger virus that started sending patient info somewhere? I'm sure his business has an AV solution, but you never know. HIPAA can be a harsh mistress.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office