Originally Posted By: sirquack
I would also suggest trying the mains to small, you can play with a 60-80hz crossover if your receiver allows for independent settings for each speaker. Let the sub do the job it was intended, to move air with the larger driver. Double bass is not always a good thing.

As I stated, I hadn't noticed any S/Q differences with it swithced either way. Wouldn't the Bass Mgmt system (LFE) limit which speakers get which sounds regardless? How do you measure double bass?

What is the shape of a low-pass filter? Surely there has to be some overlap in order to blend the sounds. At what point do you start to send too much information to the sub and the sound becomes muddy anyway? For example, a war scene with explosions in front and behind. In a small configuration, the sub is being sent information from all speakers. In large and if the L/R speaker is rated for the lower frequency, wouldn't all of the explosions be more crisp and have more punch?

Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to understand what the differences would or should be and why the recommendation is to set everything to small regardless.