Well, Graduation is approaching. One of my top job opportunities I have available enables me to work remotely, programming from wherever I so choose. This gives me the ability to move...well..anywhere.

While I don't really like working remotely a lot...it does give me the ability to try living in various places around the states.

Even if I don't land a job where working remotely is possible, I can concentrate my job-hunting efforts towards certain locales...and hopefully find a job in a good location.

Because I'm probably one of the youngest (as I know of) regular members here, I thought I could ask the knowledgeable (and older and wiser...) Axiom Family :-).

Here's a little bit about where I've lived my life...

Places I've lived

Chicago
I'm a Chicago Native. I love the city, but had the massive "suburbia" getting more and more packed and crowded. If I had a choice, I think I might like living in the city and not having a car.

Indiana
I go to school in the middle of Indiana. Upland to be exact. Besides the advantage of living in a fireworks-legal state with plenty of breathing room in farmland country, there is nothing to do for a single guy like me. It's a 20 minute drive to the nearest Wendy's. If I became a family man I might like the ability to buy a nice, private, big property for a low price, but I'm not at that stage in life yet.

Southern Florida
The previously mentioned company is based in Southern Florida, and I lived there last summer, and didn't like it as much as I thought. It. Was. HOT.

While I appreciated the weather somewhat and was indoors coding in the dark during the hottest parts of the day, being 85-95 degrees every day kinda got old. Going to bed in a sweat wasn't my favorite...and I had a huge ceiling fan above me.

Besides, one can go to the beach only so much. I did enjoy the fact that I could possibly go cycling all year round, or smoke cigars outside all year round, or just have the ability to be outside for a nice walk...but even at night it would be hot and muggy.

Places I'm scoping out

Colorado

I love the mountains. I've been backpacking with my dad and by myself in Rocky Mountain National Park on over 6 separate occaions. If I had a choice right now, I would be living either in Estes Park or Boulder right near RMNP. However, while I know I'll love the summers, I'm not sure how I'd like the winters being so close to the mountains (5 feet of snow anyone?)

Seattle, Washington

Mostly the reason I'm considering Seattle is because a friend works at Amazon, and referred me to them for a possibility at a position. Even if I do or don't get anywhere with Amazon...I started researching the location. They have mountains. Check. It's possible to enjoy the weather all year round. Check.

But...the weather thing comes with a catch...isn't it rainy and wet all year? Like, raining all the time? So, that means outdoor adventures or anything might get cut short by an annoying rainfall?

My professor even said in class that Idaho was the "best kept secret" of the US, because he loved it there. Who knows.

Final Thoughts

Basically, I want some place where I can truly enjoy the location, have a good atmosphere for connecting with people and doing stuff, be somewhat near civilization, and not spend gobs of cash doing any of the above.

I know you guys have had your own sets of experiences and location-hopping, so I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys have. Thanks a lot!

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2