Okay,

Since my own thread has been jacked in several directions ;\) I'll put in my opinion. This is my opinion, as an Electrical Engineer with almost 20 years of experience.

The power rating of a device is the maximum power draw of the unit. It should take in to account inefficiencies, power factors, etc. As an example, a motor rated at 100HP is the maximum rating. Most of the time, it will consume much less, but 100 HP is the maximum output of the unit. In all of my experiences with equipment (and I commission VERY large pieces of equipment in my field), the power rating of devices are always identified with their max draw.

The amp used in the EP800 appears to be the same amp used in the EP500 (rated 500W) and the EP600 (rated 600W). This amp has an identified power rating of 675W. Fine for the EP500 and EP600, but raises eyebrows for the EP800.

As we all know, amplifiers are a different animal. Typically, an amp's power rating is for an 8 ohm load. Since there are two drivers in parallel in the EP800, and according to Alan's response, the impedance of the EP800 is most likely 4 ohms (I'm assuming the drivers are 8 ohm). Therefore, if the amp is capable of driving a 4 ohm load, it will in fact draw more than the stamped 675W.

In my tests with the new speakers, I have no doubt that they are in fact pulling more power than the EP500s. I cannot verify this without plugging in an in-wall wattmeter, but from my listening experiences, the speakers are far more powerful. Also, even at 110 db, I have yet to trip them out.

What we have to keep in mind is that we basically have prototypes here. These speakers are not available to the general public yet, they were only made available to loyal customers. My guess is that when they are ready to be shipped to the masses, the amplifier will be labeled with it's proper max power draw for a lower impedance load.

Again, all I can say is that I am quite certain that these speakers are pulling more power than my EP500s with the same amp.

Steve

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7