I would not completely dismiss it. I'm not a fan of power-towers as you can't move the subs separate from the high/mids so you generally have to pick between better imaging and better bass response. Thus, room modes are more frustrating to deal with. But assuming you are not locked in to powered-towers you could easily get better sound from M80s or M60s plus a good sub. Alan would be the best to address this, but I think it is safe to say one ep500 would generate better (deeper and more accurate) bass than two 8" subs locked into L/R formation. In short, you have several options, but I don't know the price of the DefTechs so you will have to look a bit further.
On the whole, I like DefTech's okay, but don't find them to keep up with real high-end speakers. The company's focus is more mass market so you don't see any trickle-down in the technology. I always find the mid-level of the really good speaker companies gives you the best bang for the buck - i.e., Paradigm Studios, B&W 700's, PSB Image, etc. Axiom does not have a halo product range (a $10K speaker to show off) but they don't have the dealer network screaming for such a showroom display either. The M60 is well placed against the others mentioned, and the M80 really aims higher, at a moderate premium.

Edit: now I see the price. I don't trust it. Two 300 watt amps, plus two subs, plus radiators, plus 4 tweets and mids for each tower...for $1,200 MSRP. They have to skimp somewhere. PSB Image T65 used to be a powered tower, if memory serves, and it no longer is. Yet it still cost $1200 without two amps to deal with. The PSB is, in my opinion, similar to the Axioms. The DefTech is just not in the same group in terms of quality.

Last edited by Zimm; 03/02/09 08:53 PM.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire