Originally Posted By: Zimm
Not to derail this derailed train, but I'm curious which headphone amp and which cans were the "winner"?

The Zana Duex and HD 600's were a pretty amazing combo. Just...awesome. So smooth and rich.

The Sony MDR-R10's $4000 (The ones in the red velvet box with the odd shaped wood cups) with the RSA B-52 Tube amp...$5200 was like a fine wine tasting...also an extremely expensive combo.

The more outlandish grado 'phones were amazing too. Didn't have time to fully listen to them on music I knew, but the PS-1's and the HP-1's were there. Very clear, open, and transparent phones.

It's hard to do comparisons at meets because 1) There is an overwhelming amount of gear/headphone combinations, 2) There are a bunch of people talking while you listen and you end up talking to a bunch of people, 3) You don't have the time to really sit and listen because there is just so much you want to try! 4) Sometimes the equipment doesn't allow you to listen to music you're familiar with for whatever reason.

I did learn that I should bring a case full of burned CD's with music I know well, that way I can make good comparisons. Otherwise, it gets to the point where everything just sounds "good" and its hard to make conclusions on unfamiliar music.

Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
Back on topic...

Did you have a chance to compare any of the high-end tube amps to a Little Dot? I've got a Little Dot MKII that I use with my HD-650's. I'm extremely happy with the setup, but just curious how the LDMKII compares to some of the more pricey tube amps.

I haven't heard the Little Dot yet. You really have to hear for yourself. Some people have discerning ears, some don't. It's all "ignorance is bliss" until you've heard the next thing better. If you're happy with the combo (from what I've heard the little dots are great for the 650's) then more power to you.

The more you go up, the more refinement and wow factor you get. It just depends what flavor you like and how much you want to spend :-)

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2