For the record, I have had power failures over the years with my sets and whatever changes are made in calibration aren't affected. I must admit with the newer technologies i.e. plasma, LCD etc., I am not 100% sure but realistically it shouldn't. There is also the issue, depending on the set, of whether or not it has more than one setting for each input. In other words, many sets have the capability of two or more inputs in which you can do independent color, contrast, brightness etc. I know in the case of my 7 yr old 1080i RP CRT, I have four separate inputs with independent settings which could also be "calibrated" independently of one another. I counted over 100 individual separate adjustments in the service menu!

Mind you, the question is whether or not someone will give you access to the service menu and of course, how to get in to it which is generally codes thru the remote. That could be a stumbling bloc because they don't like doing it, unless you know someone that could get you the service manual. No matter what, there is generally no "default" setting per se, so any changes made during re-calibration should stay that way even with a power failure.