Originally Posted By: JohnK
T? Greensleeves is a beautiful and rather quiet composition(around 1:45 and elsewhere). How is it that the version by Rieu has that effect?

It's not the composition that does it, it's the recording of it.

A lot of classical that I listen to seems to be recorded to be an accurate representation of what was played. With pop and lots of rock music, it's more like you're creating an illusion, or a state of disbelief. Like technicolor, or a funny cartoon. The recordist makes his own reality for the track.

Andre Rieu's Greensleeves is very full in a kind of fake way that makes every speaker I've tried to make reproduce it at the volume it deserves to be reproduced at, cry. I've taken it to some other systems and there are so many speakers I THOUGHT were fine that had a F'd up driver somewhere when I played this, and the amp clip lights were never coming on. It's now my test for whether or not a system has a worn driver.

If anyone is interested in a clip of the recording, send me a PM here.

This recording doesn't sound like it's done to sound exactly as if you were in the room. It's really amazing.

My other tweeter is on its way out, but the midrange seems a bit conky as well. The tweeter's definitely gone but the midrange seems like it's just on its way out if something hits it at the right frequency and volume. It breaks up completely. Fun. \:\(