Originally Posted By: punisher101
I'm think of purchasing Axiom's QS8 speakers for the surround portion of my 7.1 sound. However, I've read that:

"...omnipole speakers for that matter all provide more diffuse surround sound experience...but today's surrounds sound soundtracks are recorded and mastered...using direct radiating speakers and the discrete surround-sound channels with Dolby Digital and DTS...You'll get the best and most precise sound surround-sound performance when all of your speakers are direct radiators." - Home Theatre for Dummies, pg 81

Would I be better off with 4 bookshelves speakers like the M22s. Price is the same.

Punisher,
YMMV. As has been said, this is just one man's opinion (mine in this case). It was my experience in my very large (31'x 23') room that my current direct firing sides sounded better (to me) than when I placed QS8's in their place. I can see how the radiant firing QS8s would be very advantageous in more normal sized rooms (say 12' - 16' apart). When I mounted the QS8s 23' apart and ≈ 12' from the center list. pos. in my room (and I swapped back and forth numerous times... because I am me ;o), I did not hear an advantage over my current DF in-wall speakers. To be fair though, the in-walls with 8" Kevlar woofers and more interior resonance space have a low end advantage over the Qs.

It is very likely that the Q's are your best choice for sides surrounds, as many are extremely pleased with their SQ and performance. So this is a very small caveat. I just wanted to mention that, as in my particular room, with my particular ears ;o), some rooms/ears 'may' prefer DF side surrounds.

Again, just my 2¢ (which has devalued at least 50% in this economy) so take it for what it is/isn't worth. ;\)

Last edited by davekro; 04/27/09 04:31 PM. Reason: correct quote

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."