I must admit I am also one of those that has experimented with a number of AVR's and found the "both" setting for the mains and sub give me the best overall sound for my particular environment. I would add, however, that this setting has worked better with full-range floor-standing speakers then bookshelf models. I have tried both. I originally used M22's as mains, however, in this setting they just seemed to strain a little more in the mid/low bass region particularly at higher volumes. I replaced them with M60's which cured that issue beautifully. You might have to check and raise your sub volume 2-3 db as opposed to the 80hz crossover for all speaker settings since it drains some of the bass energy from the subs. All my other speakers are set to 80hz. I have tried many permutations and combinations of this and I always seem to come back to the "both" bass management set-up. It has always seemed to sound the best to me and dealt better with any "holes" problems in the overall soundstage that might exist.