Thanks for the replies.

Answers to some of the questions...

I have M60/VP150/QS8/EP500 system. All speakers small, crossovers at 80Hz, except mains (M60) at 60Hz. Sub is not corner-loaded - it is at the end of my couch (about 1/4 length of wall from the far left corner) and the rear of the sub is about 1.5 - 2 feet from the wall.

I've measured my frequency response vis a vis my mains with an SPL meter (and brute force) and actually get a fairly good response. Slight house curve in the sub region (20-60)and a modest increase around 80-100 due to room mode (from my mains). I've never measured the response vis a vis my center and surrounds. This is an exercise I plan on doing in the near future to dial in my crossovers for these speakers. (Note: I don't run REW and have to do it manually with test tones).

JohnK - I run my 2-channel stereo using upsample mode, which incorporates the 990's bass management and sends signals to mains + sub according to settings. This is actually the mode I used when dialing in my frequency response above so I'm quite certain the bass is accurate in 2-channel mode. BTW - I'm not completely sold on Panorama either. I've played with it a bit and haven't really noticed much difference - but this could depend on the source material as well.

grunt - questions answered above. Your welcome for re-connecting you with the music \:\) Thanks for confirming (with measurements) that I'm not crazy.

alan - Thanks for the response. I eagerly await the results of the investigation.

EFalardeau - Interesting comments. This could be a reason. My sub is calibrated at the low end (20-30 Hz) to be about 3-5 db hot, with a general roll-off to the crossover.

Bryan