Originally Posted By: medic8r

First impression - they sound pretty good, but they aren't the leap ahead that I was hoping for. The M80s sound very good in comparison. The diffuse sound from the Maggies is actually a little bit off-putting to me after being used to the M80s.

I wonder if my room isn't big enough to show off the sound. I did make sure to give them at least a foot from the wall.

I certainly don't want to bias your thoughts, but a common recurring opinion i've heard about Maggies is you either love the sound or hate it.

The diffuse sound presents an amazing soundstage and personally i found the sound to be detailed, but it was presented in a recessed manner, again due to the dipole effect with that back wall. Instead of having a singer sound like they are in front of you, the sound is more immersive like you are in a concert hall but a few rows back.

If you want to test an interesting comparison to the M80s, listen wayyyy off to the right or left (off axis) and then see what you think about a magneplanar vs a direct firing driver system.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."