That was a good read. I have to admit that I've always preferred DTS over Dolby whenever there was a choice. But after reading this article I realize that Dolby might just be the force that has made others strive to be even better. Competition creates a better product after all. The sandbox was really interesting, and the fact that all 24 speakers were fed by a simple 5.1 track was really good to know. I know that the industry has already started to make the move to 7.1, but perhaps this experiment will cap the movement to that. No need to have to upgrade recievers every couple of years when they decide to go to 9.1, then 13.1, then 19.1 and so on and so forth. Find the sweetspot, and then keep it there for God sakes.

As much as I love HT and high end audio, the constant need for upgrading to be able to play the latest technology gets to be quite annoying. For instance when I plunked down almost 2 grand when I bought my Denon 4802 I had visions of it anchoring my HT system for years and years to come... hell it's even 9.1 channel capable! But the whole HDMI movement has made it obsolete in a mere 5 years time... rediculous. So now that I'm seriously considering getting a new reciever to comply with the requirements for this technology, I don't want to fall behind in another 3 to 5 years because they decided that 12.1 audio is going to be the next industry standard, and everything that gets put out from then on won't be playable on my new reciever. UGGG!!!

Of course I'm aware that technology marches on dispite me, but a guy can dream can't he!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD