So, with the massive thunderstorms in Viriginia last night....i'm screwed!

Damage tally:

Denon 2307CI - Fried (or, red blinking power light)
PS3 - Fried (not outputting video via HDMI)
DTV Receiver - Fried (not outputting video via HDMI)
Cordless phone base stations - Fried
Printer - Fried
Wireless Router - Fried
Corded Phone - Fried
Macbook Pro power adapter - fried. Luckily the laptop was not attached to the adapter. The other MBP was on an outlet not affected.

last night there was a bright flash immediately followed by a loud boom, shaking of the house and a explosion type noise.

I'm in a end unit in a 4 townhouse complex. later that night, I was jarred out of sleep by a bright light that I assumed was lightning, but the light did not extinguish. I looked out the window and was greeted by the spot lights of fire trucks. Turns out the neighbor was woken by the sound of a fire alarm and the smell of smoke.

This morning I saw the damage. The room on the other side of my home theater was redecorated by dust and fallen drywall. Turns out that the electricity from the bolt blew out her ceiling. What I don't understand is how my electronics (except the TV) were affected when they were hooked up to my Monster Power HTS 3600 MKII.

The only thing I can think of is that I have my surround wires going up the wall that had the current raging through it. Now I'm worried that my speakers (all of them) are blown. I have no way of checking this since I don't have a receiver to hook them up to. I borrowed my parents blu-ray player and have confirmed that the TV works. I think i'll borrow their receiver tonight to do a test.

Last edited by vassillios; 08/02/09 07:36 PM.

Made on a Mac